Mother's Day continues to throw up a whole heap of challenges that led to the writing of this blog. The more times goes on and the longer I parent, the more I appreciate how many things I have to thank my mum (and be very grateful) for.... the pressure to get the gift that represents this is huge and as a goal tbh is not very realistic.
Just to say here too that I know my mum isn't looking for something flash... when I have asked her previously, she'll even say "Don't worry about it. Save your money - just a card would be nice". When I think back on the gifts that she (and I) have loved the most, they have not been the most expensive but were thoughtful. My favourite Mother's Day gift from my eldest mini was the pen in this photo - no surprise that it is stationery related! She got a 'mix your own marker' gift for Christmas and then mixed up a shade of purple especially for me - yes, I did cry!
Anyway, I have done a fair bit of research recently that has thrown up lots of ideas so thought sharing some of these might be good in case it's of any help/ interest to any of you.
At The Crafthood, we are big believers in the value of gifting 'experiences' and there is a fantastic amount of choice out there at the moment to suit every interest. We think workshops are great opportunities for mums to reclaim some 'me time' and have time protected to explore doing something just for themselves that they enjoy or maybe learning a new skill. It is one of my absolute favourite gifts to receive. Perhaps it won't surprise you to know that my mum also loves crafting and has been known to come along to a Crafthood Social or Staiths Stitchin' session if she is visiting the area whilst they are on. We are very lucky to have been joined on events by many mother-daughter duos which we are always so happy to see; if you are wondering what we have to offer at the moment, here is our programme with tickets available here.
- Other workshops that she would love in the North East can be found at The Biscuit Factory with a wide ranging creative workshop schedule. She is green fingered so the programme at The Flower Folk offers great choices too. We have a super special collaboration with The Flower Folk new for 2020 called Brush & Bloom on 21st March that just so happens to be the day before Mothering Sunday.
- We live on other sides of the country and she is often looking to experiment with different crafts in the comfort of her own home so craft kits could be a great option. There are lots available - we have previously sampled one by Craftiosity who have a huge selection available that would make a great gift that keeps giving - read our blog here . There is also Make and Mend's gorgeous Soulful hoop kits that would definitely bring great joy. We have been following Couture Craft for some time now and love what Hannah (and her family) have developed with her craft subscription box too - MakeBox.co
- My mum loves to be entertained so next on my list of places to look is always our favourite theatres (Northern Stage and Theatre Royal), music venues and cinemas.
- We both love a good breakfast/ brunch followed by a lovely walk. We are particularly partial to a pancake so any recommendations locally would be welcomed.
We are big supporters of other independent makers as well as the whole 'buy less, buy well' ethos. Here are a few picks of our favourite special and/ or handcrafted products that we have recently come across:
- For jewellery lovers - we are really drawn to this treasure of a necklace by Minetta Jewellery over on NOTHS where the handwriting of a loved one is featured
- For those planning some getaways - this Escape bag is on our total #goals list. It is currently stocked at Southwood Living Store ;although they sell out pretty quick. We love the Navy but just look at all the other colour options?!
- For those struggling with sleep - I first discovered this relaxing pillow mist by L'Occitane and found it really helpful. It was disappointing to discover it is no longer produced but I was very pleased to find an alternative in Number 9 Aromatherapy's Eye Pillow.
- For those who love creating some homely hygge - it's probably a tad cringe to include your own products in lists like this but our limited edition luxury collaboration candles is a product we really love... the result of a collaboration, with ceramist Megan Randall, who we really admire so not totally about us (although in my defence, my mum says she likes gifts I have spent time making and she has been on the receiving end of some shockers). Since first writing this blog, they have now sold out but you can still get hold of our amber pot candles with great scent throw and gorgeous blends here. Her favourite is Blend 5, our most floral blend, featuring gorgeous Night Blooming Jasmine.
Finally, I guess this blog wouldn't be complete if it didn't include some DIY make ideas too? Here are our top 3:
1. For a book loving Mam - a personalised heart book-mark could be a good idea (we used a map of our happy place for the one in this photo). You could gift it alongside a specially selected book too? Independent book sellers like Forum Books are great treasure troves and can give the best advice if you get stuck. For my birthday recently, my friend sent me a gift from Book and Chocolate, which I loved - a match made in heaven, right?!
2. For those loving a bit of flora & fauna, how about our ever-lasting wreath? Here is a link to our DIY blog You can substitute in her favourite flowers and change up the colours for something very unique to her. For other wall-hanging ideas check out our Pinterest Board: Dreamy Wall-hangings
3. For lovers of the hand-made card - here is a recent time-lapse DIY tutorial of how to make a heart design card that can be filled with your favourite things about her.
Here is what I secretly hope the day holds for me and my minis again this year: 1. A lie in, 2. Calling in at Proven Goods for a deluxe doughnut and one of their hot chocolates that I have been lusting after for so long, 3. A walk along the coast. 4. A family Sunday Roast, 5. Once the minis are in bed, a trip to Tyneside Cinema.
We'd love to hear your ideas and suggestions as well as those gifts that if been the biggest hit. Please do comment below.
First released March 2019, updated and re-released March 2020
N.B. None of the contents or shares within this blog are paid ads; although once last year, we were gifted with a Craftiosity Craft Box - this was gifted without expectation of blog post(s). All comments are just our personal and honest opinions at the time of writing.